Grade 12 English Unit 15: Leisure and Entertainment (with Grammar Solutions)- Language Development

 



Reading

A Journey Back in Time!




Working with words

A. The words in the crossword puzzle are from the text. Find them from the text to solve the puzzle based on the clues given below.

Across

1. outdated, of or relating to the Middle Ages

3. the character and atmosphere of a place

6. highly decorated

7. beat with a strong, regular rhythm; survive

10. with the agreement of all people involved

11. the destructive effects of something

Down

1. a large city

2. wandering from place to place without any purpose

4. an unpleasant place; a place of extreme misery

5. an active revolt or uprising

8. paved with cobbles

9. prosperous and growing; flourishing


B. Look up the meanings of the following words in your dictionary.

Amenities: a desirable or useful feature or facility of a building or place.

Exquisite: extremely beautiful and delicate.

Etiquette: the customary code of polite behaviour in society or among members of a particular profession or group.

Accommodation: a room, group of rooms, or building in which someone may live or stay.

Mainstaya person or thing on which something else is based or depends.

Antique: a collectable object such as a piece of furniture or work of art that has a high value because of its age and quality.


C. Underline the content words in the following sentences.

Example: A brown fox jumps over the lazy dog quickly.

a. The cat sat lazily on the dirty mat.

b. She gives performances on the stage beautifully.

c. Don’t count your chickens before they are hatched.

d. I came I saw I conquered.

e. It is my life, my very identity.


Grammar

Miscellaneous agreements

A. Tick the correct one.

a. He has obtained full mark/marks.

b. More than two boys were/was absent.

c. One of the boy/boys was not found there.

d. His wonder knew no bounds/bound.

e. I give you my words/word.

f. He gave me much/many good advice/advices.

g. He gave wrong information/informations.

h. Give me two dozens/dozen eggs.

i. Six miles is/are a long distance.

j. The clock has struck four hours/hour.

k. Would you lend me a ten rupees/rupee note?

l. Nepal government makes five year/years development plan.

m. They went to Singapore on a four days/day trip.


B. Which of the sentence is correct in each pair? Rewrite the correct one.

a. My all books are lost. All my books are lost.

b. His both brothers are ill. Both his brothers are ill.

c. Give me a hundred rupee. Give a hundred rupees.

d. Everybody except me was absent. Everybody except I was absent.

e. He was died of fever. He died of fever.

f. It is raining for a week. It has been raining for a week.

g. I have seen my friend long ago. I saw my friend long ago.

h. My friend has gone out before I arrived. My friend had gone out before I arrived.

i. He said he has never seen him before. He said he had never seen him before.

j. He assured he will come. He assured he would come.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Refund (Play) by Fritz Karinthy - Characters, Summary, Analysis- Grade 11

What I Require From Life? by J.B.S. Haldane (Summary, Main Points, Analysis, Question-Answers)- Grade 11

Grade 12 English Unit 17: War and Peace (with Grammar Solutions)- Language Development