Grade 12 English Unit 17: War and Peace (with Grammar Solutions)- Language Development

 


Reading

Train to Pakistan

Working with words

A. What do the underlined words in the following sentences mean? Tick the best answer.

a. The shouting and clamor would continue until long after the train had left the station.

i. clapping ii. music iii.a loud and confused noise iv. train whistle

b. There were dozens outside perched precariously on footboards holding on the door handles.

i. not securely ii. carefully iii. joyfully iv. prudently

c. The book had gone round the compartment for scrutiny.

i. appreciation ii. examination iii. entertainment iv. religious ritual

d. But Jugga had run away, absconded.

i. committed suicide ii. killed a fellow friend

iii. surrendered iv. hid somewhere secretly

e. His countrymen’s code of morals had always puzzled him, with his anglicized way of looking at things.

i. characteristics of Indians ii. characteristics of English

iii. characteristics of Pakistani iv. characteristics of Aryans

f. Iqbal felt a little silly for coming out with these platitudes.

i. commonplace remarks ii. philosophical remarks

iii. critical remarks iv. doubtful remarks

B. Many words have been borrowed in English from different languages. Find the meaning of the following words which are borrowed from the Hindi language.

veranda, khaki, pashmina, pajamas, pukka, pundit, avatar, bangle, cheetah, guru, jungle, karma, nirvana, shampoo, raita

C. Add the given suffixes to the following words to make new words. Notice whether ‘e’ is retained or dropped.

a. change + -able / -ing / -ed / - less

b. time + -ly / -ing / -ed / -less

c. notice + -able / -ing / -ed

d. praise + -worthy / -ing / -ed

e. home + -less / -ing / -ly


Grammar

Past simple, past continuous, past perfect and past perfect continuous tense

A. Study the following sentences.

a. My head was aching again, so I went home early.

b. Sanita was teaching to the children while Nitesh was washing up.

c. He worked hard all his life.

d. Just as I was getting into the bath the fire alarm went off.

e. Before he stopped laughing, everyone had left.

f. The film had already begun by the time we got to the cinema.

g. She had returned to the house where she had been staying with friends.

B. Here is an extract from a newspaper article about a missing boy (Ronish) and his father (Naresh). Decide why different forms of past tenses were used.

Naresh said that Ronish, who used to enjoy riding with him on his bike, followed him as he set off. He told the child to go back to his mother, and rode away. Meanwhile, Ronish’s mother thought that Ronish had gone with Naresh; Naresh believed Ronish had stayed behind. It was only some hours later, when Naresh returned, that they realized Ronish had vanished …

C. Fill in the gaps with the suitable form of the verb in the brackets. Use past simple/past continuous/past perfect tenses. You may need to use negative too.

It was Sunday afternoon. I ……….. (watch) a cookery programme on TV when I …………. (realise) how hungry I was. But of course, I was hungry; I ……….(eat) anything since lunch, and I …….. (run) a race in the morning. “Biscuits!”

I …….. (think). My mother …………. (give) me a jar of delicious home-made biscuits. I ….. (go) into the kitchen, …… (open) the fridge and ……. (pour) some milk in a big glass. Then I …….. (look) for the kitchen chair but it …… (be) there: somebody ……. (take) it away. And there were no biscuits in the biscuit jar: somebody …… (eat) them all! I was sure I …… (put) the jar there the previous day and I ………. (eat) only one cookie. It was very strange.

A few minutes later, I ………. (drink) my glass of milk when I ………. (hear) a loud noise coming from the dining room. I …….. (go) there quickly and I …….(open) the door. I couldn’t believe my eyes. An enormous monkey …….. (eat) the biscuits excitedly on the kitchen chair.

D. Rewrite the following sentences correcting the mistakes.

Example: Did you ever see her before you met her at school?

Had you ever seen her before you met her at school?


a. She played the flute and then she had sung in their choir.

b. I borrowed Rima’s car. Had you known about it?

c. After the lesson had finished, we run out of school.

d. Had you be there? - Yes, the previous year.

e. Did you liked my article published in the Himalayan Times yesterday?

f. I recognized him because I saw him before.

g. I hadn’t gone out because I hadn’t finished my homework.

h. We had done nothing like this at that time.

i. It was quite difficult. I had had no idea what to do.

j. As far as I’d known, she had always had some pets.

k. When I met Jim, he was already a soldier for three years.

l. He had gone to the coffee because somebody had told him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Refund (Play) by Fritz Karinthy - Characters, Summary, Analysis- Grade 11

What I Require From Life? by J.B.S. Haldane (Summary, Main Points, Analysis, Question-Answers)- Grade 11