Grade 12 English Unit 2: Family (with Grammar Solutions)- Language Development

 

Photo: Volunteer International

Working with words

A. Find the words from the text and solve the puzzle. Clues are given below.

ACROSS

1. the custom of having more than one wife at the same time

5. to find an acceptable way of dealing with opposing ideas, needs etc.

6. the process in which towns, streets, etc. are built where there was once countryside

7. the process by which somebody learns to behave in an acceptable way in their society

DOWN

1. ruled or controlled by men

2. the act of taking over a position

3. done in a way without caring if people are shocked

4. single-parent


Answer Key

ACROSS

1. Polygamy

2. Conflict

3. Urbanization

4. Socialization 


DOWN

1. patriarchy

2. takeover

3. Surprise

4. lone-parent


B. Find the meanings of the following family-related words and use them in your own sentences.

1. Nuclear family- a family group that consists only of parents and children.

Sentence: I live in a nuclear family in Kathmandu and they are so caring.


2. Monogamy- Monogamy is the state or custom of being married to only one person at a particular time.

Sentence: Nepali people believe in monogamy and the law is strict against polygamy.


3. Sibling-in-law: A sibling-in-law is a spouse of your sibling, or the sibling of your spouse, or the person who is married to the sibling of your spouse.

Sentence: My sibling in Law, who is an engineer, lives in Toronto.


4. Milk kinship: The kinship arising from adoption or fostering. 

Sentence: Milk kinship is getting popular in practice, especially in western countries. 


5. Matrilineal: refers to familial relationships that can be traced through a female. 

Sentence: Trump’s matrilineal ancestors were farming in rural Scotland in the 18th century.


6. Nepotism: Nepotism is the unfair use of power in order to get jobs or other benefits for your family or friends.

Sentence: In various sectors of Nepal, Nepotism has overtaken the real deservers. 


7. Maternity- the state of being a mother

Sentence: Three months of maternity leave is given in the government offices of Nepal. 


C. The following words are from the above text. Each word has two parts.

polygamy, unmarried, nontraditional, dissolution, inequitable

poly, un, non, dis and in are prefixes. They make new words when they are added to the beginning of other root words.

Make at least five words using the prefixes given. Consult a dictionary to learn how they change the meaning of root words.

pre- preview, prevent, prefix, prepaid, premature

semi- semifinal, semicircle, semicolon, semiannual, semiliquid

sub- subtropical, submerge, subtitle, substitute, subordinate

mis- misshaped, mistrust, mismatch, misuse, mistake

mono- monograph, monopoly, monotonous, monologue, monolith 

un- unable, unfinished, unclear, unintelligent, uninteresting 

in- inside, information, intonation, informal, infant

inter- intermediate, intermission, intermingle, interlock, interactive 


Grammar

Modal verbs

- an auxiliary verb that expresses necessity or possibility. English modal verbs include must, shall, will, should, would, can, could, may, might, can't, couldn't, mustn't, shouldn't, wouldn't...

Photo: Eng Dic

Should- When 80% chances are there

Might- When 50% chances are there

Would- for conditional statements

Must- used for present and future reference to express obligation give orders and give advice. 

Could- when there is an option


A. Study the given sentences carefully.

a. Please read this letter for me. I can't see without my glasses.

b. After working for a couple of years in China, I can speak Chinese now.

c. When he was 40, he could earn six digit salary.

d. After six hours' climbing, we were able to reach the summit.

e. Yesterday, I lost my keys. I looked for them everywhere but I couldn't find.


B. Choose the best answer to complete the sentences.

a. 'How much was your parking ticket?' 'Fifty rupees.' 'Oh well, it ………… been worse.'

i. could have ii. must have iii. should have

b. It …………. got lost in the post. These things happen sometimes.

i. can't have ii. might have iii. must have

c. 'Sorry I'm late. I got delayed at work.' 'You ……….. called. I was really worried about you.'

i. must have ii. could have iii. would have

d. 'I don't think he meant to be rude.' 'He ……… said sorry.'

i. must have ii. might have iii. would have

e. 'Whose signature is this?' 'I don't know. It ……….. be Manoj's. That looks a bit like an M.'

i. must ii. could iii. should

f. I had it when I left the office so I ………. lost it on the way to home.

i. mustn't have ii. must have iii. should have

g. You ……….. think it's funny, but I think it's pathetic.

i. might ii. should iii. could


C. Complete the following sentences with appropriate endings. Use correct modal verbs.

Example: She could be a doctor; however,…………

She could be a doctor; however, she preferred to be an advocate.

a. At the end of the course, …………….……………

b. If you want to earn a lot of money, …………………………………..

c. You were not in your house yesterday. You …………………………

d. I'm quite busy tomorrow. I …………………………………………

e. When you were a small kid …………………………………..

f. My car is broken. I ………………………………………….

g. I've got fast-speed internet at home. I ……………………….

h. Even though she didn't study well, she ………………………………..

i. There are plenty of newspapers in the library. You ...........………………..

if you want.

j. What do you think you were doing, playing on the road? You …………….

k. I have no time. I ……..

l. You don't look well. You …………..



Answer Key (B)

a. could have

b might have

c. could have

d. must have

e. could

f. must have

g. might


Answer Key (C)

a. We must be prepared for the individual presentation. 

b.  I would suggest some tips.

c. You could have your belongings stolen.

d. I must visit my dentist.

e. You could ask for money from your relatives.

f. I should take a taxi now.

g. I can play Freefire with any disturbance.

h. She could solve all the problems.

i. You can read any of them if you want.

j. You could have been hit by the car.

k. I can't meet you at the cafe.

l. You should take a rest.


Find more:

Unit 3: Sports (with Grammar Solutions)- Language Development

Unit 1: Critical Thinking (with Grammar Solutions)- Language Development

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Refund (Play) by Fritz Karinthy - Characters, Summary, Analysis- Grade 11

What I Require From Life? by J.B.S. Haldane (Summary, Main Points, Analysis, Question-Answers)- Grade 11

Grade 12 English Unit 17: War and Peace (with Grammar Solutions)- Language Development